Thursday, December 15, 2011

How do I find out payoff on mortage without a closing date?

I was thinking of selling my home, but I want to know the payoff amount to see how much I would make off of it. If I call the mortage company for a quote, they want to know the closing date.


Does anyone know ABOUT how much more of the balance I get on my statement the payoff amount would be?|||There is not more than a payment's difference on any payoff, depending on when in the month you'd be actually paying it off. In all candor, the best way to get a payoff is to give them a hyopthetical closing date.





If you want a round number, just use the principle balance on your latest statement.


If you want a specific number, tell them you just want the payoff if you sell, not when you sell and the house isn't on the market. The rep should give you a per diem interest, pro rated formula from the latest mortgage balance, or give you an actual payoff on any hyothetical date you choose.





If you give them a date, they won't feel mislead.|||It would only be a estimation at this point. It's something your Realtor can provide you when they do a CMA. They base it on what your current balance is and project it out and deduct all estimated expenses. But again, it's only an estimation.





The day before closing you can request to see a copy of the HUD Statement, which is actual expenses.|||The mortgage company wants a date for the payoff to be able to include interest. You can get a ball park figure by getting your remaining balance and adding between 500-1,000 to it. I usually add high, just to be on the safe side. While it will not be accurate, it at least gives you an idea. Now you can ask for the payoff and give them a date 1 month in the future, but be careful here, they should give you options for delivery of the payoff, mail, fax etc. Do NOT opt for the fax for two reasons. One, your thinking of selling your home, you don't seem to be in a rush, your just putting together facts so while mailing it may take a few days, you can wait for it. I say this, and it's point number two, some, if not most company charge for every payoff fax. example, say you request a fax now, it can be a 20-40 dollar charge, then you sell the some and the attorney orders a payoff, there's another 20-40, closing gets delayed for whatever reason, new payoff has to be ordered, another 20-40. This is not hypethetical, this is reality and it happens. Hope this helps|||Just look at your mortgage statement. Add the principal balance and one month's interest and that will give you a close number. Mortgage interest is always paid in arrears, so you will owe interest + principal. For instance, if you paid off your mortgage on June 20, and you had already paid your June 1st payment, you would owe your principal balance and 20 days of interest. Most mortgage lenders also charge a fee to prepare and file a Lien Release or something similar, which is the public record to show that your mortgage is paid off. Its usually $20-$50.|||I call my bank's customer service line all the time to ask what my pay off would be. I do it so I can see how well I'm doing with the extra payments I'm making. All they ask for is my account number and the last 4 digits to my social to verify who I am. If your bank needs a closing date, they should have that in their computer. I've had my home several years. I don't remember the exact date I closed.|||Call %26amp; order for 30 days out- that's as far as they can give you anyway. You can always order another one later- which you know will be less as long as you continue to pay. Usually if you are current on your mortgage you can add 1 extra payment %26amp; be safe- unless you have a pre-payment penalty. There is no limit to how many times you can order a payoff but they may charge if it is an excessive amount of times.





Edit: You are getting some really wrong answers here- I think one of them thinks your mortgage company wants to know what day you closed with them- another telling you to call your real estate agent- one saying add $500-1000.00- %26amp; some saying to add only the interest for one month. If you are behind or have a pre-payment penalty that doesn't work- The $500-1000 is just wrong- Just order a payoff like I said %26amp; give them a 30 day out date. They won't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment